By: Prem Tiwari | Last Updated:
If you are looking for free server space to host your web application, then this article is very beneficial for you. Now you can host your application on openshift server which is managed by Redhat. You can host max 3 Application upto 1GB storage per application.
1. You have Sign up at http://www.openshift.com/
2. After your sign up navigate to Application and click on Add Application button.
3. Choose the type of programming for your application like ( Zend Server, Php, WordPress, Ruby, Python, and etc..).
4. Then you will get a public URL the domain name and namespace and your application homepage will be “http://application name-namespace.rhcloud.com”.
5. You need to specify the source code of your application from github like: https://github.com/openshift/wordpress-example.git (If you have), otherwise a Git code repository will be automatically created in the cloud with default configuration, files and folders.
6. Now you have to provide the public key for uses Git version control system, you can access your repository using GIT protocol.
Want to edit the required files OR want to upload files & folders into the Git repository use the following commands
In Linux and in Windows – Open the terminal(Linux) / GitHub shell(Windows) and move to the folder where the cloned repository is present and type:
$ git add .
# Will adds the files & folders to the queue
$ git commit -m 'your_message'
#saves the changes to the modified files in the queue
$ git push -u origin your branch name
# uploads the modified files to the Git repository
You can also host your custom domain name like (www.example.com). Follow the below instructions. After deploy your application from GitHub, click on your application and then click on change link.
On this page enter your name which you want to host with www like: www.example.com.
Now set up the CNAME record with your doamin DNS provider and configure your DNS host records. Do like this article, subscribe our newsletter and share it with your friends!
Prem Tiwari is the founder of FreeWebMentor.com and also a professional developer who has vast experience in PHP and open source technologies. Apart from this, he is a blogger by hobby and also he has been a regular speaker of WordPress sessions in various IT Companies. View all posts by Prem Tiwari